Quick hand me some veggies! I have officially reached the point where I do not want to see anymore Christmas food until December! After 2 weeks of having a bit more of a relaxed approach when it comes to the gym and healthy eating I am so ready for getting back to my usual clean eating and exercise routine. I have loved my well-earned rest and I have now fully recharged my batteries, but if the last 2 weeks have taught me anything it is that a healthy lifestyle is an absolute must. I make it sound like I’ve spent the last 2 weeks on my sofa engorging cheese and cake by the truck load (I promise you I haven’t been quite that bad) but between all the chaos we’ve often just eaten left overs and finger foods instead of proper meals (and veggies have become a bit of a strange green concept rather than a part of daily life). Which is why I wanted to share with you one of my favourite ways to get some extra veggies in your diet and definitely one of the most delicious. Here is my Signature Green Breakfast Smoothie!
Like I say my diet has been missing veggies big time the last couple of weeks. My usual 5-6 portions of veg a day has probably been reduced to 1-2, and my energy levels and skin are definite proof of my reduction in healthy nutrients. In the words of Madeleine Shaw – I have definitely lost my glow!!! And trust me I miss it (and as sad as it may sound I also miss my trusty friends spinach & broccoli!)
This smoothie is one of my favourite on-the-go breakfasts and makes frequent appearances on my Instagram and snapchat. It’s jam packed with nutrients and is super hydrating. By adding a scoop of protein powder it’s also really filling and provides you with a protein boost to get through the morning. The spoonful of Peanut Butter means you also get a dose of healthy fats which keeps your body working and let’s be honest, isn’t anything made better with peanut butter?
If green smoothies scare you I seriously suggest that you start here. This smoothie is delicious and the veggies are mainly hidden by the protein powder/ peanut butter combo. I also find drinking anything that green instantly makes you feel a bit healthier and happier.
Signature Green Breakfast Smoothie
Serves: 1 Time: 5 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- ½ Green Apple (Chopped)
- 1/3 of a Cucumber (Sliced)
- A Large Handful of Spinach
- 300ml Of Water*
- 1 Tsp of Peanut Butter
- 1 Scoop of Banana Protein Powder (Around 30g)**
- Ice (Optional)
- Place the apple, cucumber, spinach, water and peanut butter in a blender (ideally a smoothie blender such as a nutribullet or nutrininja) and blend until completely smooth.
- Add the scoop of protein powder and blend again until combined. Do not over blend here as the mixture usually expands and become frothy when blended with protein powder and you don’t want to overfill your blender.
- Serve over ice.
* You may not need all the water as it depends on the size of you blender. I generally fill it to around a cm under the max fill line.
** Vanilla Protein works well too (peanut butter & strawberry may also work but I’ve never tried it).