You need this recipe in your life! It is completely delicious. I mean what is there not to love about slightly crispy sweet potato skins packed full of chicken and veggies topped with melted cheese?
If you’ve read Living Energetically before then you will possible have noticed me slight obsession with Mexican food and this dish is another to add to the list.
In the pictures I’ve probably overstuffed my skins a bit (The filling was just too good) but I promise you they are hiding under there! This dish also surprisingly reheats well the next day if you have left overs for lunch. So if you like sweet potato and Mexican food then I repeat my earlier statement ‘You need this recipe in your life’!
Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato Skin
Serves: 4 Time: 40 – 60 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- 4 Medium – Large Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Red Onion (Diced)
- 2 Tbsp of Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1 Courgette (Chopped)
- 1 Bell Pepper (Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup of Frozen Sweetcorn
- 1 x 400g Can of Kidney Beans Drained
- 1 Red Chilli (Chopped – Deseeded if you don’t like spicy food)
- 2 Tbsp of Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 Cup of Chicken Broth
- 100g of Cheese (Cheddar or Mexican Blend) (Grated)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Stab the sweet potatoes and bake in the oven for 40 minutes until soft (Alternatively place in a microwave for around 8 minutes – which is what I usually end up doing).
- Melt 1tsp of coconut oil in a pan and add the onion and chicken. Cook until the onions are soft and chicken is browned (5-10 minutes)
- Add the courgette, pepper, sweetcorn, kidney beans, chilli and taco seasoning. Cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the chicken broth.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the chicken is cooked though.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, cut in half and scoop out the centre (leaving around 1cm of flesh inside the skin)(I usually use the left over centre as a mash potato the next day)
- Flip over and rub the potato skins with the remaining melted coconut oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Place on a baking tray (skin side down) and fill with the chicken mixture.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.