I think I actually went through a phase of making this once a week for about 3 months as it’s just so tasty. It’s full of fabulous spices and can be made completely indulgent by being topped with cheese. It’s jam packed with protein and is made with wholegrain rice for a slow energy releasing carbohydrates. Did I also mention that it’s ridiculously quick and easy and only takes one pan and one saucepan to cook a mountain of this delicious dish? Perfect for a quick midweek meal with minimum washing up.
Serves: 2 Time: 35 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- 250g of 5% fat beef mince
- ½ an Onion (chopped)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- ⅓ Cup of Wholegrain (brown) rice
- 1 Red Chilli (chopped)
- 400g Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Cup of Beef Stock
- 1½ Tsp of Cumin
- 1 Tsp of Chilli Powder
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 Tsp of Paprika
- 1/4 Cup of Frozen Sweetcorn
- 50g Cheese (Grated or sliced) (Optional)
- Place the rice in a pan of boiling water and allow to cook (only cook until the mince is browned there is no need to fully cook the rice)
- At the same time place the onions, beef and peppers to a large frying pan and cook on a medium heat until the mince is browned and onions softened (around 8-10 minutes).
- Once the mince is browned, drain the rice and add to the mince and onions. Add the tomatoes and beef stock and stir to combine.
- Mix in the spices including the garlic and chopped chilli.
- Cover the mixture and allow to simmer for around 10 minutes until the rice is just soft. You may need to add a small amount of water if all the stock is absorbed before the rice is cooked.
- Add in the sweetcorn and allow to cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Once the rice has softened and sweetcorn cooked, sprinkle the cheese on top, re-cover and turn the heat to low.
- Leave for 5 minutes covered until the cheese has melted.