That’s right Wales have done it!! They are through to the semi-finals of the Euro’s 2016! The Welsh football team have had a tough few years with plenty of up’s and down’s which is why this semi-final is so special! All of Wales is buzzing and the entire country is being painted red for tomorrow nights game! Everyone is behind the boys and planning where to watch the game (I think there will be a few sore heads in work on Thursday win or lose!) And with all this planning of course we need some food! What better food is there for a football game then a massive bowl of nachos?
For those of you who follow the Living Energetically instagram you will have seen I made a huge bowl of these for the final 16 game (and thoroughly enjoyed every last one!!). I promised I would share the recipe with you before the semi-finals and here they are. These nachos are one of the most amazingly indulgent treats and are perfect for sharing (or enjoying all to yourself – trust me we won’t judge!) Although they aren’t exactly the healthiest food in the world they are definitely a much cleaner option than their crispy counterpart with store bought salsa and guacamole. You can also prepare everything a few hours before and simply place in the oven when ready to eat (perfect for the footie).
If you’re looking for a slightly heartier dish you can also add some shredded Mexican chicken (I highly recommend you do, it’s delish!) and you should all now by know how I feel about any dish where melted cheese is involved? (Again completely optional).
So wherever you are watching the game tomorrow night I hope you are helping our small nation turn football red by cheering our boys on #strongertogether! And why not enjoy the game with this amazing bowl of paleo nachos?
Paleo Sweet Potato Nachos (with optional Mexican chicken)
Serves: 2 Time: 30 minutes Difficulty: Easy – Medium
- 1 – 2 Large Sweet Potatoes with skin on* (Sliced very thinly using a mandolin or sharp knife)
- 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
- Himalayan Sea Salt
- 2 Vine Tomatoes (Chopped into 1cm Cubes)
- ½ Cucumber (Chopped into 1cm Cubes)
- ½ Red Onion (Diced)
- 1 Avocado (Mashed) (or 1 portion of Avocado Mint Yogurt – recipe here)
- 50g of Cheese (Grated) (Omit for strict paleo or dairy-free) **
- 1 Green Chilli (Finely Chopped)
Mexican Chicken (Omit for vegetarian version) :-
- 2 Chicken Breasts (cubed)
- 1 Tsp of Coconut Oil (Melted)
- ½ Tsp of Cumin
- ½ Tsp of Chilli Powder
- ¼ Tsp of Onion Powder
- ¼ Tsp of Coriander
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- For the chicken mix together the spices and oil, coat the chicken in it and leave to marinate for 5 minutes. Place a pan on a medium heat to warm through.
- Mix the potatoes with the coconut oil, coating all the slices. Spread out on a wire rack (spread out as much as possible – you may need more than one rack. Don’t worry about slight overlapping as they will shrink)
- Sprinkle with the sea salt and bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until the edges have started to brown and are turning crispy.
- Place the chicken in the pan and allow to cook for 15 minutes until cooked through.
- In the mean time prepare the avocado and in a separate bowl mix together the chopped cucumber, tomatoes, sliced chillies and red onions.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and place on a foil lined baking dish or tray.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks and spread across the potatoes. Scatter ¾ of the tomato and cucumber mixture over and top with the cheese.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven, scatter the remaining cucumber and tomato mixture over the top, spoon the mashed avocado randomly and serve.
* Long and Thin sweet potatoes are easier to cut if you don’t have a mandolin.
** Monterey Jack, Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese all work well.