For those of you who don’t know I LOVE my slow cooker! They are a kitchen essential that everyone should have. The key to a good slow cooker recipe is one that involves as little effort as possible! Obviously I love cooking but I am also completely on board with any type of cooking that involves throwing everything in a big bowl and turning the dial to ‘on’. I am especially completely on board for any type of cooking that involves throwing everything in a big bowl, turning the dial to ‘on’ and still producing something this tasty!! And trust me this chilli is tasty!
Generally chilli is probably thought of as more of a winter dish, perfect for cold winter nights in front of the fire. This chilli is absolutely perfect for that BUT it is so colourful, vibrant and delicious that it is perfect for the height of summer too (especially if your summer is a Welsh one like mine!!)
Summer nights should not be spent slaving away in kitchens and this dish takes about 20 minutes to chop and prep before you can simply leave it to do it’s magic! By making a big batch of it you can also eat it for days (or freeze it) meaning even more time embracing the summer. I serve mine with quinoa & buckwheat, and an avocado mint dressing. Buckwheat and quinoa can both be reheated (unlike rice) and is a much lighter summer grain than rice or some kind of bread. The dressing is also delicious! I first tried a dressing like this from SHOT in London and loved it! I knew I had to try and re-create it. I think this is a pretty good replication and is my new favourite addition to Mexican food. It’s jam packed with avocado (yum!), but because of the lime and yogurt it keeps it’s beautiful light green colour for a couple of days!
I know so many people have fabulous recipes for chilli but I promise this one is a little bit special and completely hassle free!
Happy Slow Cooking!!
Slow Cooker Beef & Sweet Potato Chilli
(With Avocado-Mint Yogurt Dressing & Quinoa Buckwheat Rice)
Serves: 6 Time: 25 minutes (+6 Hours Cooking Time) Difficulty: Easy
Slow Cooker Beef & Sweet Potato Chilli –
- 500g Beef Joint (Cut into Cubes)
- 1 Brown Onion (Diced)
- 2 Carrots (Cut into small Cubes)
- 1 Sweet Potato (Cut into Small Cubes)
- 500g Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 Fresh Red Chilli (Chopped)
- 400g Can of Kidney Beans
- 2 Tsp of Cumin
- 1 ½ Tsp of Paprika
- 1 Tsp of Chilli Powder
- ⅓ Cup of Beef Stock
- ½ Tsp of Coconut Oil (Omit if not following step 1 and 2).
Avocado-Mint Yogurt Dressing –
- 1 Avocado
- ¼ Cup of Fresh Mint (Very Finely Chopped)
- 1 Cup of Greek or Natural Yogurt
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp of Salt
Quinoa Buckwheat ‘Rice’
- ½ Cup of Quinoa
- ½ Cup of Buckwheat Groats
NOTE: Step 1 & 2 are optional but not necessary. I personally do this step the night before along with all the chopping and simply turn on in the slow cooker in the morning. If you don’t have time to do this simply start at step 3.
- Melt the Coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the carrots and onions. Sauté until softened (around 8 minutes) and then add to the slow cooker.
- Return the frying pan to a medium high heat and add the beef cubes searing each side for around 30 seconds. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Cook on high for at least 6 hours.
Buckwheat & Quinoa ‘Rice’ –
- Toast the buckwheat and quinoa together in a dry pan until they’ve started to turn golden and smell toasty.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for around 20 minutes until soft and the water has been fully absorbed. Do not let the mixture go dry and add additional water in necessary.
- Stir with a fork to ensure the fluffiest ‘rice’ possible.
Avocado Mint Yogurt Dressing –
- Mash the avocado until smooth
- Combine with the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth and creamy.
Serve the chilli over a bed of the quinoa & buckwheat rice with a good dollop of the avocado mint dressing.