This dish is a weeknight favourite as it involves minimal effort and minimal cleaning up afterwards. I can come in from work or the gym and have it on the table 40 minutes later and had time to make the next days lunches while it’s simmering away.The bell peppers in this dish contain plenty of vitamin A and vitamin C (especially if you use red peppers). Vitamin C helps protect the cells in your body (and can even keep your skin looking fabulous), while vitamin A helps your immune system work and help your vision (it’s not just bugs bunny and his carrots who can see in the dark you know!) And let’s be honest, who doesn’t love a hearty Italian dish topped with melted cheese? It’s a match made in weeknight meal heaven.
Once again I like to serve this dish with a side of boiled veggies but it is absolutely delicious alone to. Happy Cooking!
Serves: 2 Time: 40 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- ¾ tsp of Coconut Oil (or 1tsp or rapeseed oil or olive oil)
- 250g Extra Lean Ground Beef
- ½ Onion (Diced)
- ¼ Cup of Brown Rice*
- 1 Large Bell Pepper (Ideally Red)(Chopped)
- 2 Cup Beef Broth
- 130g of Canned Chopped Tomatoes (⅓ of a 400g can)
- 150g of Low Sugar Passata Sauce (or tomato sauce)
- 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning
- 3 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 40g of Grated Italian Cheese (such as mozzarella)
* You can also use white rice for this recipe, if you do there is no need to boil the rice at the beginning, but simply put the uncooked rice in with the chicken and onions when stated.
- Place the uncooked rice in a saucepan of water and bring to the boil.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat and heat the oil.
- Add the mince to the pan and cook until no pink remains.
- Once the mince is cooked, drain the partially cooked rice and add it to the pan. Cook until the rice starts to turn golden brown (around 3 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add all the other ingredients except the cheese. Ensure all the rice is covered by the broth, if not add slightly more water.
- Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Allow to cook (Stirring occasionally) until all the liquid has been absorbed (around 20 minutes).
- Top with the cheese, recover, and turn the heat as low as possible. Leave for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt before serving.