Well this is exciting; the 1st post on Living Energetically!I have been wanting to start a blog for a while now and after a gruelling couple of years getting my teaching degree and completing my 1st year teaching, I finally feel like I have enough time to put the love and effort into a blog it deserves.
Now that I finally have the website up and running I had to think long and hard about what I wanted to include in my first post. I have so many fabulous recipes I want to share with you (all in good time) and having to decide what I wanted to be my opening statement here on LE was difficult. Do I go for something baked? A delicious weekend meal maybe? Or a speedy weeknight favourite?
Finally while cooking this dish last week it hit me, this is the one! I cook this dish usually about once a week (if we go a fortnight without this dish in my house we get with drawl symptoms (I once went 3 weeks without these rice bowls and started dreaming about them!). I’ve also cooked it for groups of people who all end up asking for the recipe to go home with. It’s delicious!
So introducing my pilot dish: CHICKEN ENCHILADA RICE BOWLS.Like I say it is a favourite in the Living Energetically kitchen. It’s really easy and involves just 2 pans to save on washing (Definitely a bonus on a week night!!). The chicken packs a healthy dose of protein, while the kidney beans are high in fibre and iron (which helps in the production of red blood cells and transport of oxygen around the body). I usually serve it with some boiled veg such as broccoli and green beans to get a few more of my 5 a day, but it’s also delicious by itself. It’s also easy to multiply this recipe to serve many people if needs be.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do here at LE, and please share this recipe with as many people as you can! Happy Cooking!
Serves:2 Cooking Time: 45 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- ¾ tsp of Coconut Oil (or 1tsp or rapeseed oil or olive oil)
- ½ Onion (Diced)
- 2 Chicken Breasts (Chopped)
- ⅓ Cup Uncooked Brown Rice*
- 1 Chopped Red or Green Chilli
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 130g of Canned Chopped Tomatoes (⅓ of a 400g can)
- 150g of Low Sugar Passata Sauce (or a tomato based sauce)
- ¾ tsp of Chilli Powder
- 1tsp of Cumin
- 200g of Red Kidney Beans (or Black Beans)
- ⅓ Cup of Frozen Corn
- Lighter Cheddar or Mexican Blend Cheese.
* You can also use white rice for this recipe, if you do there is no need to boil the rice at the beginning, but simply put the uncooked rice in with the chicken and onions when stated.
- Place the uncooked rice in a saucepan of water and bring to the boil.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat and heat the oil.
- Add the onion and chicken to the pan.
- Once the chicken is cooked, drain the partly cooked rice and add it to the pan. Cook until the rice and chicken starts to turn golden brown.
- Add all the other ingredients except the cheese and frozen corn. Ensure all the rice is covered by the broth, if not add slightly more water.
- Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Allow to cook (Stirring occasionally) until around 2/3 of the water has been absorbed (around 15 minutes) and add the corn.
- Recover and continue to cook until all the liquid has been absorbed (another 5 minutes).
- Top with the cheese, recover, and turn the heat as low as possible. Leave for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt before serving.